We are grateful that you have taken on a Walk 4 CMT event! This timeline will help you organize and promote your event, give you some great tips for fundraising, help you stay motivated and keep you organized.
This timeline is your step by step guide to host a successful Walk 4 CMT event. As you start to plan your Walk 4 CMT go through each action item as it pertains to how far away your event is. Click on the hyperlinks to take you to the corresponding section of the Walk 4 CMT Campaign Manual.
Each step is broken up for you, so you have the information you need when you need it. Focus on progressing through the timeline and referencing the sections of the manual that pertain to the task at hand. As you move closer to your event, continue to reference this timeline and read more about the best practices for you at that point in time.
CMTA staff will continue to reach out to you and give you additional resources. If at any point you have a question or concern please reach out to the CMTA National Events Manager, Andi Cosby at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 606-2682 ext. 111.
- Find a location – see Securing Your Walk Site
- Assemble your committee – see Committee and Committee Roles
- Secure any necessary Permits – see Permits
- Prepare your budget – see Expenses and Revenue
- Register your event to set up your webpage – see Register Your Event
- Ask companies and local businesses to support your event – see Community Partnership Opportunities
- Host first committee meeting and plan out future meeting dates – see Committee Meetings
- Select an Ambassador to represent your event – see Ambassadors
- Start recruiting Teams to participate in your event – See Team Recruitment
- Promote and publicize your event with the help of your committee – see Media and PR
- Work with the CMTA to send out a local “Save The Date” to CMTA constituents
- Enlist other local entities to help you spread the word (PTA, hospitals, doctor’s offices, physical therapy offices, medical supply stores, etc.)
- Set up a Facebook Page for your event
- Continue to prospect companies and local businesses to support your event – see Community Partnership Opportunities
- Look for local media opportunities – see Media and PR
- Plan your Walk 4 CMT day – see Day of Logistics and Walk Site Plan
- Contact potential vendors for quotes – see Vendors
- Recruit volunteers to help the day of your event – see Volunteer Recruitment
- Communicate with the other Teams that have registered for your event – see Team Management and Coaching and Inspiring Teams
- Secure any necessary vendors – see Vendors
- Receive your Walk 4 CMT Box! The CMTA will mail you items you will need on the day of your event and the weeks leading up to it.
- Work with CMTA to place T-Shirt order
- Confirm all needed in-kind donations – see In-Kind Donations
- CMTA will start running Facebook ads for your event to encourage registrations
- Determine directional signage needs, work with CMTA to order them or create your own
- Send out an email to everyone who has registered – templates in the Walk Leader Toolbox
- Send out an email to all volunteers – templates in the Walk Leader Tool Box
- Prepare Opening Ceremonies script and work with your Ambassador on their speech – templates in the Walk Leader Tool Box
- Finalize and print your event program
- Pick up in-kind donations
- T-shirts will arrive!
- Go over packing list to make sure you have everything you need – template in the Walk Leader Tool Box
- Pack all you will need with the assistance of your committee
- Send a final email to all registered participants and volunteers
- Run your registration report and make copies